Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2017

Trizantine, kinged vipera berus, and necklaces

I have been on a chainmail kick lately, so that's where my crafty focus has been.
I tried a couple new (to me) weaves that I have been wanting to do, and they came out pretty nice!

The first thing I made was this bracelet. This is made using the trizantine weave (basically a variation on the byzantine weave). I used silver anodized aluminum for the tri-sections, and black for the connectors. I finished it off with one of my silver sun/moon/star toggle clasps.
This bracelet has looser rings on the outside, so it is a fun to fidget with.







Next, I tried a Kinged Vipera Berus weave with some colored anodized aluminum.
I originally intended to make a bracelet with this weave, but as I got into it, I realized that it is a little too stiff to make a comfortable bracelet. The rings I am using are ever-so-slightly smaller than the ideal size.
Since I had gotten most of the way through one rainbow already, I finished it up, and turned it into a keychain, instead! It works perfectly as a keychain, I must admit!

Here it is from the side:


Last, I got some pictures taken of a few necklaces that I have had finished for a while, but never took pictures of. 





On another note, I have noticed that a couple of the star charms on the red necklace are starting to turn black a bit. Oxidation? Corrosion? This is probably because I got these charms cheap, but I want to avoid any issues down the line with them. I love them!
Any suggestions on what I can do to prevent this with my other silver charms?

5 comments:

  1. Those are really beautiful! I have no ideas on the blackening though. Well, actually, if you paint them with clear nail polish that might protect the surface. We do that for glasses that have corrosion on them to protect people's skin. Maybe you could dunk them in to make it easy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're wonderful. I especially like the necklace with the key. I also would suggest coating the charms with clear nail polish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The silver is corroding and turning black. If you make sure to dry off the necklace completely after touching that will help. To properly prevent it you will need to coat them in something (nail polish is a great suggestion)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so beautiful. Great job on them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No suggestions but they're pretty :). I especially like the first one

    ReplyDelete